Monday, November 1, 2010

Trace's Birth Story

Trace was born one week ago today! I can't believe I actually made it to my schedule c-section date. I thought for sure I was going to give birth anyyyy second the last 2 weeks leading up to the 25th, but I didn't.

We had to be at the hospital at 5:30 in the morning on the 25th. I never really slept that night before, I was way too keyed up. Do not fear, Dave slept just fine. :) My parents came down bright and early. My mom was going with us and my dad was staying with Rory because she was still sleeping, of course. Everything went smooth checking in and getting set up in my room. It was, coincidentally, the same room I had when Rory was born!! I had no idea, but Dave and my mom informed me that yes, it was.

I got all the "fun" stuff over with right away. An IV, a bunch of blood work, the AWFUL catheter, none of it fun but none of it that truly terrible either. Around 7:00, the anesthetist came in and talked to me about the spinal tap. He put a lot of my nerves about it not taking again at ease. Dave got into his "Doctor Stuff" and my Ob arrived! I was wheeled into the OR around 7:20 or so. I got my spinal (NOT painful, again, I tell you! It's not painful!!) and it took!! Praise the Lord! I wanted so badly to be awake for this c-section, for so many reasons. I knew my recovery would be easier and I wanted Dave to be there for the actual birth of his son. God answered!

I was a little nervous about the "pressure" people always describe feeling but it was nothing. I really and truly felt very little. I would compare it to letting the dog walk on my stomach if I was laying on the floor. (Millie weighs 10 pounds.) It was easy! I got to see Trace half a second after he was born and it was beautiful. I'm really glad I had that experience and Dave too!

Trace Joseph was born at 7:45 am on Monday, Oct 25th. He weighed in at 9 lbs, 2 oz and was 21 inches long.

After the c-section was complete, Dave left the OR with the baby and they finished up with me. My Dr this time didn't use staples, he used internal stitches and glue for my incision. It's like a dream come true! Nothing get caught on my pants, nothing itching. It's so much better!! I was wheeled back to my room and it was a completely different recovery than with Rory. Dave came in about 20 minutes after I got in there, the baby was brought in about 45 minutes after wards and my mom and Dave's mom came in shortly there after. I was talking, laughing, feeling really great actually.

I did end up getting nauseous as the spinal was wearing off, but my wonderful nurse Jada gave me something in my IV. It took the nausea away but knocked me out for a good while. (haha) I didn't want to sleep, but I knew I had to. It wore off around 9:00 that night and I actually was able to get up and sit in a chair, eat some dinner and hold the baby some. I could have held him more, but my arms were still feeling "funny" and I didn't want to risk feeling weak holding him. No good!

Trace is a fantastic baby. He eats on the dot of every 3 hours right now, except at night. He tends to go a little longer, usually 3.5-4 hours between feedings at night! Go Trace Go! :) He's got his dad's curly hair but he really does look like a more masculine version of Rory. He seems so much tinier than Rory did when she came home. I know he only weighed 5 oz less than her, but he just seems so much smaller! I can't believe he's already a week old! Time is flying already. I'm not sure if it's because I'm a parent for the second time or just because I'm older, but I'm not nearly as agitated and anxious about his sleeping habits or eating habits or any of it. I'm much more go with the flow. I keep thinking that by Christmas time, he'll be sleeping through the night! And by the end of January, he'll easily be going 10 hours a night. (Thank you, BabyWise and Laura!) That seems so close to me! The holidays fly by anyways and it's going to be doubly fast this year. I can't believe it, I really can't.

Rory is doing really well adjusting to having a brother. She has moments every now and then where she wants my attention but can't have it. It passes quickly though. She loves to help out with Trace and tries to put his pacifier in quite violently sometimes. ;)

Keep us in your prayers as we tackle this new season in our lives. A family of four! I still can't believe it!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Hooray for being awake when baby was born!

And hooray for already having a consistent routine! I thought it was so much easier the second time around. Glad things are going well! Can't wait to meet him.