Thursday, March 3, 2011


I am about to shamelessly boast about my children. And don't tell me I'm setting myself up for disaster. I'm not. That's just nonsense! :)

Today, we got up at 6:30, hit the road at 7:15 and were at the Buffalo Airport at 9:30. We had 2 strollers, 2 car seats, 2 back packs, 1 laptop bag, 1 (embarrassingly large, but still not my largest) purse, 1 toddler backpack, 1 car seat base and 4 suitcases to maneuver. From the minute we started unloading things, my kids were CHAMPS. Trace napped on the 2 hour ride to the airport and woke up, as I was checking in at the skycap, with a huge smile. We breezed through security, which was worry number one for me. We sat at the play area by our gate, let Rory run around and blow off some energy. We ate lunch, changed diapers, fed Trace and boarded.

That was hectic, but we survived.

We took off, Rory had her first DumDum sucker to pop her ears. Trace fell asleep about 10 minutes in to the flight.

It was...awesome.

My kids were CHAMPS. They were relaxed. They were NORMAL. There was no bad behavior because they were scared or nervous. Trace ate and slept relatively on schedule. Rory didn't nap much, but heck she misses a nap once or twice a week because she won't settle down.

The only time all day I got frustrated was trying to get them to go to sleep. Trace fought hard, but finally gave in. He hasn't made a peep in over an hour. Rory laid in her bed (a BIG GIRL BED!!) and watched Toy Story on my computer. She was up later than I would have liked, but at least she's sleeping now.

I am so thankful that they behaved so well today. I was so nervous! I prayed all week that their behavior would be a blessing to Dave and me and also to the people around me. Rory brings a smile to everyone she meets and I wanted her to do that today. She definitely did!

I also prayed this week that the people we would interact with would be kind, understanding of our crazy situation and helpful. I prayed that we could bless other people and that we would be blessed by the people we met. We were! Every person we came in contact with, most especially the SkyCap Southwest Attendant and the nice family in the play area, were awesome. They were so helpful! The security man let us go through the handicap line since no one was in either side so we had lots of room to spread out all of our stuff.

I am so grateful we had an excellent travel day. Tomorrow is the wedding! Saturday is a brunch and then off to my happy place. Disney World!!! I am so excited I can't stand it. Actually, I can't talk about it or I will get emotional. ;)

1 comment:

Meghan said...

Aww! So glad you had such smooth travels! I bet that is such a relief! Enjoy the wedding and DISNEY! SO excited for you!