Thursday, December 2, 2010

Reverb10 day 2



Today's prompt is as follows:

December 2 Writing.
What do you do each day that doesn’t contribute to your writing — and can you eliminate it?
(Author: Leo Babauta)

I am a writer at heart. I love to write. I toyed with the idea of being an English major for a long time, because of my love of literature and writing. I wanted to be an English teacher so I could (hopefully) inspire some others to write and read. (Not to mention, I had some serious kickin' English teachers in high school myself!) I ultimately didn't go that route because teaching dance is more natural to me.

Why did I stop writing? I have no idea. For the longest time, I wrote every day. Something at least. Poetry, prose, short stories, half a dozen starts on novels, children's literature, plays...you name it, I wrote it. I especially enjoyed writing children's books and plays. I stopped writing because...well I have no idea. I need to write. I need to relax and purge my thoughts and emotions on to the page.

What's hindering my writing? I could claim life as my scapegoat, but everyone has a life. I'm quite certain that JK Rowling had a life while writing "Harry Potter." If my memory serves me, she had a child and at least one job. That's life, baby.

Life. No longer an excuse.

I can't eliminate my life grind. What I can do is carve out time specifically each day, every other day even, and devote it back to writing. Something specifically for myself would be really great right about now.

No comments: