Friday, April 23, 2010

This house

Let me preface this entry by saying I really love my house. It's the perfect size for a family of 3. We'll squeeze in Pumpkin Head in October when we need to and we'll make it work. I am so grateful that Dave and I are able to be homeowners already and have an established home base. I enjoy the security of owning a home and really enjoy decorating.

Here's the rub.

The house we bought when we were married belonged to my Aunt and Uncle previously. My Aunt Barb has TASTE. She always looks beautiful and this house was stunning. (You should see her new house! It's amazing!) She's also a photographer and paints well, so it's no wonder she had a beautifully decorated house.

I am not as artistically inclined in that way. I can't choreograph a dance to decorate the walls, you know. We've lived here for three years and have changed...one room. We made a Steelers room in the basement to house our many pieces of Black and Gold memorabilia. We didn't even change the nursery when we found out we were expecting because Aunt Barb painted it beautifully like the Hundred Acre Woods. Gorgeous. I tired to get a picture to upload, but it is not working and I refuse to get frustrated! haha

Anyways! The point of this entry...I need to redo some rooms in this house. I am ready to make changes. I am ready to make this house more "our own." I want to redo the nursery for Pumpkin Head, I need to do the spare bedroom into Rory's big girl room. I want to redo our bedrom and our bathroom. The problem is, sans the nursery, I have no ideas. No clue. We need a new bedspread in the bedroom, so maybe that's where I should start.

Where do you get your ideas for decorating? Suggestions please!?

2 comments:

Anything Fits A Naked Man said...

I'm afraid I'm a little bit "decorator-challenged" myself. But maybe this will help: My sister-in-law, a decorating goddess, once told me to pick one thing you really like (like a bedspread), then pick everything else to match THAT.

For me in my kitchen, it was a wallpaper border with a grape/wine theme. Once I picked that, everything else kinda fell into place! Hope that helps. Good luck!!

Grace said...

I have to agree. Pick one thing you really like and match to that. We did that for our bedroom (comforter), bathroom (shower curtain made into window curtains), dining room (table runner), entry (wall hanging and dining room), office (entry), and Caleb's room, and guest room. The only rooms that are completely done right now are our dining room and entry. Caleb's room will be completed soon. I also get ideas from HGTV and Better Homes and Gardens magazine.