Sunday, November 7, 2010

Things I am Thankful for Today!

Today, our hot water tank broke. It flooded out our basement. Let me just tell you about my basement. Three-quarters are finished, carpeted, tv, sitting areas, etc. One-quarter is unfinished. This side we use for storage, the washer and dryer, etc. The hot water tank was, obviously, on that side. It cracked or leaked or something, sometime between 1:30 this morning and 7:00. (Easy to figure out because we use hot water for Trace's bottles and it couldn't have been empty when we went to make one! haha)

It leaked. Nope. Not leaked. FLOODED the unfinished side of the basement and the finished side. There's a good five feet all around the finished side that is soaked beyond belief. The carpet is...done-zo. There's no salvaging it.

But! God is gooooood! Our insurance agent is a great guy and we called him first thing this morning. He is already coming over to file the claim and get the ball rolling to get everything paid for. Did you know that most homeowner's insurance WILL cover water damage that occurred because of a water line break inside the house? For example the line to your dishwasher breaks, washing machine bites the big one or your hot water tank commits suicide in the middle of the night. Thankfully, our insurance will cover the tank and the damages!! We can replace the carpet/put in some sort of new flooring in the basement without worry. This is like an early Christmas present to me! I've been "toying" with the idea of making the basement in to the kids playroom anyways and I'd like an easier surface to clean up, plus the carpet was light blue and showed messes super easy. Replacing it with a tougher carpet or laminate flooring would be ideal. See? Found the silver lining!

Another thing I am thankful for is that we bought this house from my aunt and uncle. They lived here for 15 or 20 years before they built a beautiful new house and we bought this one from them. My Uncle immediately came over with everything we needed to get the situation under control because when they lived here, their basement flooded THREE TIMES! He knows exactly what to do to minimize damage and doesn't mind helping us out. :)

Also, it's a SUNDAY. Imagine if this would have happened on a work day. I don't go to the basement that often, except to get the dog in and out of her crate. I probably wouldn't have noticed the wet floor until Tuesday or Wednesday when I was planning to do laundry. And what the heck would I have done?! I have no idea how to stop a leak like that until Dave could get home from work. Sunday is the perfect day for something like this to happen, thankfully.

Okay. I've found the silver lining to this fiasco a few times over now and I need to go to my mom's to take a shower and feed the kids. Say a prayer for us, it's going to be a loooooong day!

No comments: