Friday, November 19, 2010

The Best Time of Your Life

I had a dream about college the other night and I woke up in tears. Last night I saw my very first friend, his wife and their beautiful son for the first time and I cried when I got home. I've been missing my "old friends" so much lately. (Not that my friends right now aren't fantastic! :)) It got me thinking...

Why is that everyone tells you high school is the best time of your life? College? Being Newlywed? Having a new baby? It seems that each milestone you hit is supposed to be the best time of your life.

This is false. EVERY MOMENT should be the best time of your life. Even when Rory is screaming her head off like a howler monkey and Trace is sobbing, it's the best time of my life because I'll never ever have that moment back. In a few years, I'll be sitting here in the quiet of my house again with both kids in school and wishing for a few more days of chaos. Yes, this time of my life is hectic and beyond exhausting, but it's the best time of my life.

College was the best time of my life. I found myself. I healed. I learned and most importantly, going to college allowed me to come home.



(I can't wait to be skinny again! That doesn't even look like me!)

High School was the best time of my life. I made my three best friends. I learned so much about myself, the world, especially dance. I let people walk all over me and apologized for things I had nothing to do with. Why do I consider this the best time of my life? Because it was the best (and last!) time I didn't stand up for myself when necessary. It was the best time I was ever a coward and it won't happen again!


Sure, maybe I do have my rose colored glasses on today and maybe this is all a result of no sleep and too much stress. I don't care. I'm trying so hard to be positive and look back and forward with a smile. Life is so short.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I don't miss a thing about high school. Wait... that's a lie... I miss playing soccer and being on sports teams. I guess that was a part of high school.

And I don't miss much about college either.

These are the best times. :)