Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Review: Melissa and Doug Toys

Note: I was not compensated in any way for this review. Melissa and Doug did not send me anything or pay me to write this. I just really love their toys!


With Christmas coming up, I thought I'd take a few days on this old blog and review some of my favorite kids' toy companies. I'm rather picky about toys for my kids. I want things that will last, won't break super easily and can stand two toddlers beating them up. I also like educational toys and toys that encourage creative, independent play. I'll be talking about some of my favorite children's book authors, television shows and musicians as well.
First up, my all time favorite kids' toy company!


Melissa and Doug!

From the M&D website...
Over 23 years ago we started our company in the garage of the home where Doug grew up — we had to be careful not to disturb Doug's parents who were still living there! Thanks to your support, we've been able to move into a real office down the road, a building that actually has separate ladies and men's bathrooms! Our philosophy has remained the same over the years–to make each and every customer a happy and permanent member of the Melissa & Doug family, while offering products with tremendous value, quality and design. Our line offers something for everyone with over 1,000 innovative products for children of all ages! We've always welcomed customer suggestions, and we continually strive to make improvements to our products. We're honored by the faith you place in us and view it as our responsibility to continue to earn your trust in the years to come!

Melissa and Doug offer all sorts of toys, educational and colorful. Some of my favorites include...
Band in a Box


Colorful Stacking Blocks


Magnet Dress Up Dolls (Adorable!)


Tina Ballerina Puppet (We use her every week at the studio!)


Big, Chunky Puzzles (Perfect for little fingers!)



And my number one fave: the Trunki! This little suitcase on wheels is awesome. It's designed for kids to ride on through the airport (in our case) and still have their lovies and "to do" bags close at hand. It also fits the size requirements for a carryon. The kids can ride RIGHT ON TO THE PLANE. I'm not sure if you've ever tried to wrangle littles on to a plane, but you have to gate check your stroller. It's so hectic and awful. You're carrying babies and strollers and diaper bags and carry ons and something is bound to drop. We will be investing in a blueTrunki and a purple Trunki, I'm sure! Sidebar. I will not be putting the kids names on the outside of their Trunkis (or any luggage for that matter.) Kate Gosselin made a good point years ago on Jon and Kate plus 8, before they were famous. No need to let strangers know your kid's name and give them potential to lure them away. Shudder. We travel in non-named clothes, thank you very much. ANYWAYS. Bottom line? Trunkis are awesome! I've got a 20% off coupon if anyone wants to order one! :)


We really do love Melissa and Doug in this house. Reasonably priced, well made and educational. Total win!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll keep this in mind for when there are littler Smiths running around the house! :-)

McK still loves those magnetic dolls!!

Miranda said...

that trunki is a great idea! if we ever do more traveling this is something to look into!

Courtney said...

ha! do I want those toys for myself! lol :)

lori said...

i love melissa and doug products, too! i gave my niece an art easel for christmas last year by them, and i just bought those magnetic dolls for my nieces this year!