Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Broken Blessings.

Last night, I was watching Oprah's Next Chapter after everyone else was already in bed. Do you watch Next Chapter? You totally should. Oprah is interviewing really fascinating, unique people. Last week's episode was about an entire town that practices transcendental meditation. So intriguing! This week, she was interviewing Bishop TD Jakes. The interview was nice, it was interesting to hear a major preacher's opinions on many hot button issues. But what really got me was a clip of one of his sermons they played.

I'm paraphrasing here, because I couldn't type the exact quote fast enough. But basically, Bishop Jakes said this:
You know the story about 2 loaves and 5 fishes? The Lord blessed something that was not enough. We know for certain that the little boy had 2 loaves and 5 fishes. He broke it and suddenly it was ENOUGH. The blessing is in the breaking! You will not be blessed if you refuse to be broken. You must be broken to appreciate the blessing. The most blessed people I have ever met in my life are the people who have gone through something that broke them. 

Talk about a light bulb moment. I love this idea. The thinking that all our trials, our breaking moments are merely a means to our eventual blessing is a beautiful thing. It reminded me of the saying "Those who think sunshine brings happiness have never danced in the rain." Yes, the sun is beautiful but if we didn't have rainy days would we ever really appreciate the blessing of sunshine? If we didn't experience times where money is tight, then we would be inclined to take paying bills on time for granted. If you never get a cold, you don't understand how great breathing through both nostrils is. Right now, for example, my kids are playing beautifully together. If they didn't fight and bicker, I wouldn't fully comprehend how nice their laughter and chatter is. 

Does this mean I think God wants us to suffer unjustly? Nope. I think it means God brings us through times of trials so that we can see how truly awesome His mercies are. I also don't believe God will never give us more than we can handle. The Lord gives me more than I can handle all the time. This forces me to rely on Him, on His grace and His forgiveness. He allows me to experience situations I am far from capable of handling on my own and He equips me to deal with them. He provides. He wants me to flourish. He wants me to succeed and prosper. The Lord isn't satisfied with enough, He wants abundance! If I live my life praising Him through my broken moments, seeking the lessons in hard times and choosing to learn each day, then I am bringing glory to the Lord.

To God be the Glory forever and ever, AMEN!

No comments: