Advice to Moms of Babies.
(All the advice you want to hear to make you feel better)
1. Your baby will sleep. Eventually. It might be tonight. It might not be tomorrow night. But you can do this! Pour another cup of coffee and power through. Eventually, your baby will sleep and so will you. Anyone who tells you they haven't slept in (insert number of years) here is exaggerating. My son had severe acid reflux and a host of other stomach issues and he still was sleeping a good 8 hour chunk each night by 12 weeks old. Research sleep methods. Try new things. Allow yourself to get frustrated. Call your mom. Ask for help on Twitter. You can do this.
2. If you think your baby is ready for rice cereal, DO IT.
3. There's nothing wrong with strapping your baby into the car seat, setting the car seat on the bathroom floor, giving baby a couple toys and grabbing a quick shower. Having the baby in a safe place, in the room with you and occupied is FINE. Take a shower. Seven minutes to yourself will feel like heaven. It's not a big deal.
4. If you want to take a nap when your baby naps, go for it. If you want to do laundry or dishes instead, go for it. Don't feel guilty for napping or for NOT napping.
5. You don't have to put your baby in every outfit someone has given you. Some outfits people think are adorable you will think are God awful ugly. It's okay. Donate those outfits to someone else who will love and appreciate them. Dress your baby as you think they will be happiest and most comfortable.
6. If you chose to use formula, that's fine. Don't listen to the haters. #thankyouverymuch
7. Ask your doctor every question you have. Every. One. Don't be embarrassed or think your question is stupid. I promise, the doc has heard worse. Ask and know the answer! Your peace of mind is much more important than feeling like you are inconveniencing your doctor. That being said, any pediatrician who makes you feel like a bother is not very good at his or her job. Choosing to work with kids means choosing to work with parents.
8. Only you know your baby best. You will figure out what diapers are best, what wipes don't give little one a rash, what times is best for baths, when naps should occur...read up on and ask for all the advice you want but at the end of the day, form your own conclusions. You are a Mom! You got this.
9. Your baby doesn't have to wear shoes until he or she can walk. And hair bows? Good. Luck.
10. There will be bad days. There will be blah days. There will be great days. Do the best you can. That's all your baby really wants. Your love and your best.
You'll be fine.