Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Dear Rory

My dear darling, Rory...

It's been a while since I've written you a letter. Life has been so crazy this last year. You were there, like a champ, every step of the way. You smiled, laughed, sang and danced your way through the last 12 months and I am so proud of you. Your sunny disposition has lifted me up when I needed it. When you tell me I'm the best mommy ever or that Daddy is the best Daddy ever, it warms my heart. Listening to you sing "Jesus Loves Me" fills my heart right up with pride, joy and thankfulness.

You are my sunshine, Rory. Trace is my learning experience. Trace teaches me every day to be a better person and mother. You, my Rosie Girl, light up my life. You sparkle. You are so sweet and polite. I am in awe of your personality!

You are so smart, Rory Beth Ann. You taught yourself the ABCs, you know your colors and most of your shapes. You potty trained yourself. You sense when I am sad or upset and always want to fix any situation. You love to learn and take in all the lessons Daddy and I teach you. You constantly say please and thank you. You count! I am so excited to see how much more you learn this year and next year when you start preschool.

Sometimes I am overwhelmed by being your mommy. There's so much I want to do with you, show you, teach you, let you experience. I want you to look back on your childhood with the same fondness and great memories as I do. I want to show you that this world we live in is amazing and there's so much God has given us to discover. I hope you know that you are not limited by anything. Money can be made. Lessons can be learned. Jobs can be worked. Goals can be achieved. Set yourself up for the best life you can imagine.

Your Gaga and Baba taught me a long time ago that they would love me no matter what. They might not always like my choices, but at the end of the day they loved me. Nothing I did (or will do) will ever CHANGE that fact. They love me unconditionally. The same goes for you, little lady. You will make mistakes and poor decisions. Right now, that's ripping pages out of books and refusing to nap. It won't always be that petty, sweetie pie, but it will be okay. It. Will. Be. Okay. Through prayer and hard work, we can come up with a solution to any problem or situation that comes our way. As you grow, I'm going to push you. I'm going to encourage you to try new things, set lofty goals and work as hard as you possibly can to achieve them. You will do the hard work yourself. You will figure out your own path, just like I did with the studio. Gaga and Baba gave me advice but they never once held my hand and "babied" me along the process. I will do the same for you. It might drive you crazy at the time, but you will be so much stronger when you realize you can fly.

Rory girl, your empathy and sympathy for people is unparalleled in any other 2 year old I've ever met. Who else has to leave The Lion King after Mufasa dies because it makes them too sad? Certainly no other two year old I've ever met. Never ever lose that quality. Being able to feel other people's emotions so honestly and openly is a gift from God. It will help you relate to people and make you someone others want to be around. Be honest, be open and be yourself.

I love you so much, Chicken Little. Daddy loves you too. And Trace. And Gaga. And Baba. And Grandma Ann and Grandma Mike. And Aunt Chelsea. And Mr. Phil. And The Hemdals. And the entire dance studio. Your whole family. You are so loved, Rory, and you don't even know it. I miss you when I'm working and I miss you when you're sleeping. I loved you the moment I knew you were tucked away inside of me, growing and changing every day as God saw fit. As sick as you made me, I would do it 100 times over if that's what it took. You are worth it. Never ever forget that. You are enough. You are enough!

Love you to the moon and back, Mommy

I'll sing you a song my little one, my little one. I'll sing you a song, forever I'll love you. I'll sing you a song, my little one, my little one. Angels are watching above you, I love you.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Sweet letter Kate!

And in defense of my dad... he's not a grandma. :)

Unknown said...

Please, please print this and save it somewhere. Put it in a Shutterfly album for her. So sweet! It makes me want to hug you!